Murdoch Childrens Research Institute
Who Are We?
Victorian Clinical Genetics Services (VCGS) is an Australian, not-for-profit provider of cutting-edge genetic and genomic services. We are one of the largest contributors driving genetic healthcare, research and policy in Australia.
We are doctors, genetic counsellors, scientists and technicians that work closely with a wide range of health professionals to provide the best quality clinical care, screening and diagnostic testing. VCGS is a subsidiary of Murdoch Children’s Research Institute (MCRI) located at The Royal Children's Hospital (RCH) Melbourne. As a pioneering not-for-profit organisation all our proceeds go back into medical research to support the health of our community.
VCGS is a proud member of the Australian Network on Disability.
This position provides technical support for the Newborn Bloodspot Screening Laboratory for the introduction of the GenV project, www.genv.org.au. You will support the performance of daily tasks associated with providing accurate and timely results. This will encompass all aspects of the total testing process from sample receipt, processing and analysis, (but not result validation and reporting results). You will support the processing of GenV samples.
Other duties will include supporting laboratory’s routine organisational tasks such as equipment checks, filing, reagent preparation, maintaining laboratory records and answering enquiries from external clients. You will work as an effective member of a team with sufficient flexibility to adapt to changing daily laboratory and workload requirements. Flexibility to work between 07:30 to 17:30 weekdays, with the potential for work required out of routine hours through rostered overtime and re-call.
Your responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Participate in and provide advice with regards to collection of specimens for testing as required
- Participate in specimen reception activities, including receipt and prioritisation, data entry, pre-analytical processing and distribution as required
- Undertake routine equipment maintenance, troubleshooting and calibration commensurate with experience and training and in accordance with operator / training manual
- Perform automated tests, semi-automated tests and routine manual tests as required
- Participate in ongoing professional development activities
- Participate in quality activities, to ensure laboratory compliance with National Association of Testing Authorities and International Standardisation Organisation (NATA/ISO) and other relevant standards
- Comply with all workplace health and safety requirements and human resource management policies applicable to the role
- Maintain reagent stocks, equipment, quality control and request documentation.
- Maintain instruction and record sheets for calibration, maintenance and cleaning of laboratory equipment
- Diploma of Pathology Testing or equivalent as a minimum
- Experience with routine NATA accredited pathology laboratory practices and procedures
- Good computer skills, including data entry, word processing and spreadsheets
- Working with Children & National Police Clearance (if appointed) in compliance with the Victorian Governments Child Safety Standards
- Demonstrated abilities to work independently in area of expertise
- 1 year full time contract
- Salary + super + salary packaging
- Employee Assistance Program, mindfulness & wellbeing, Learning & Development programs
For a full list of responsibilities and the key selection criteria download the position description.
Only applicants who address the key selection criteria will be considered; placing key selection criteria responses at the end of your cover letter.
Click apply to proceed with your application.
Closing Date: Sunday 14 February
Position Reference: 24555
VCGS is a proud member of the Australian Network on Disability. Should you require any specific support or adjustments please talk to us and we will be happy to accommodate.
Impress this employer describing Your skills and abilities, fill out the form below and leave Your personal touch in the presentation letter.
Seeking a highly motivated and skilled Laboratory Technician to support the practical teaching activities in the School of BioSciences’ undergraduate teaching programme. About the role: The Labo [...]
Job no: 0043179 Work type: Continuing Location: Parkville Division/Faculty: Faculty of Science Department/School: School of BioSciences Salary: $67,872 - $72,033 (UOM 4) Role & Superannuation ra [...]
- Immediate Start - Day Shifts Available - Located in Rowville, VIC Programmed Skilled Workforce is a leading provider of staffing services. Programmed are seeking qualified Laboratory Techni [...]
We are looking for someone responsible for performing routine inspections and testing of various beverages from raw materials to finished products. Plays a key role in driving quality across the site [...]