CIT Student Association
Australian Capital Territory
About the business and the role
The Canberra Institute of Technology Student Association Incorporated is the official student organisation and a provider of non-academic services on campus for students at CIT.
CITSA is a not for profit organisation and provides commercial and non-commercial services at CIT Reid, Fyshwick, and Bruce campus and supports students at the Gungahlin and Tuggeranong campus.
CITSA's mission is to use the power of our partnerships (both on and off campus) to enhance the student experience.
We work to prepare students to be active, useful participants in society
We aim to be:
- The student issue experts for CIT students
- The primary touch point for CIT on student issues
The Student Assistance Officer (SAO) will staff a campus office, which provides shop front services, as well as organize events on campus as part of the Student Assistance team. Shop front services include information, assistance, referral, and advocacy whilst also promoting the broader range of CITSA services available to on and off campus students.
We have one role available NOW - SAO part-time (22.5 Hours per week) at the CIT Fyshwick Campus.
Applicants are asked to include an up to date resume of no more than four pages which clearly details your relevant skills and experience and how they relate to the requirements and capabilities for the role.
Applicants are also asked to address their suitability in a covering letter of no more than one page addressing the following question:
• Describe what traits you think you possess that makes you a strong student assistance officer?
Applicants must submit their application electronically for this position at [email protected] [link removed] and we will interview candidates as required. If you want any further information about the role then please contact Lesley Johnston, E: [email protected] [link removed] or 02 6207 3600.
Job tasks and responsibilities
- Provide face to face support for students on campus
- Provide information, direction and advice to students
- Refer to appropriate support service as required
- Work in a small team to conduct and manage cross campus events
- Take a case management approach to student issues to make sure they are resolved
- Be an advocate for students
- Lobbying CIT regarding student issues
- Provide an environment where students feel welcome and heard
- Contribute to developing a social calendar of events for students
- Keep up to date with developments in relation to programs in other student organizations
- Work closely with the other CITSA staff including Graphic Designer to give CITSA's profile high visibility and relevance
- Comply with all CITSA policies and procedures including those relating to work health and safety and equal opportunity
- Other duties as requested, consistent with the job position and in line with the principle of multi-skilling
Skills and experience
- To have an experience of or an understanding of the tertiary sector, in particular, the TAFE or VET sector
- An appreciation and understanding of the purpose, and operations of the student organization at CIT
- To have an understanding of the needs and expectations of students, including apprentices and trainees
- A knowledge of internal and external agencies that support students
- Ability to liaise and communicate effectively with staff at all levels, students and members of the public, with a developing ability to negotiate.
To provide evidence of:
- Interest and ability to organize events
- Strong communication (written and oral), relationship management and negotiation skills
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team
- Excellent time management skills, with the demonstrated ability to use initiative by acting independently using discretion and within organizational limitations
- Interest in recreation and participation in outdoor activities
- Advance skills in office technology and social media tools
Job benefits and perks
CITSA provides a Time in Lieu policy to support a flexible work force.
Impress this employer describing Your skills and abilities, fill out the form below and leave Your personal touch in the presentation letter.
Your responsibilities will include: - Assist in the development of a best practice policy framework, templates and processes - Facilitate identification of key issues and research needed to infor [...]
ESS currently delivers the best hospitality and catering services to many Defence sites in Australia and around the world. Our leading-edge catering systems mean that delivering a fantastic customer s [...]
Chartwells provides tailored, boutique and unique hospitality solutions to the education market. We specialise in challenging the boundaries in order to deliver a sustainable point of difference. We [...]
- 30 June 2021 + 6 month extension - Canberra or Sydney based - Citizens minimum - Minimal WFH available - $700 - $800 per day An exciting opportunity exists to join a high profle Portfolio [...]