University of Sydney
- Undertake original research, conduct policy outreach and engagement, and manage key think tank activities within the Foreign Policy and Defence Program
- Located on the Camperdown/ Darlington Campus
- Full-time, 2-year fixed term (opportunity for extension subject to funding) with a base salary of $70K-$90K p.a., plus benefits
About the opportunity
The United States Studies Centre is recruiting a Research Associate to contribute to the work of the Foreign Policy and Defence Program. The Research Associate will work across all aspects of our activities, providing research, policy outreach and administrative support.
As an integral member of our expanding Foreign Policy and Defence team,
the successful applicant will be immersed in the research, policy outreach activities and major events of one of Australia’s leading think tanks. They will work across the following priority areas:
· Strategic policy and international security in the Indo-Pacific
· US and Australian foreign and defence policy, and regional alliances and partnerships
· Deterrence, counter-coercion, and statecraft in the Indo-Pacific
· Defence economics, technology and national security, and military trends
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for a Research Associate, Foreign Policy and Defence Program whose primary responsibilities include:
· research in support of Program publications, including empirical and data work
· tracking policy and current affairs developments in priority areas
· contributing to the delivery of Track 1.5 / 2 meetings and other Program activities
· supporting Program engagement with US, Australian and regional stakeholders
· assistance with editing, event management, reporting and other administrative tasks.
This position offers a unique opportunity for an early career researcher and/or policy professional to develop their applied research, project management and outreach skills as part of a dynamic team; and to deepen subject matter expertise in foreign policy and defence. It offers room for professional advancement in the think tank industry; and highly transferrable skills for careers in public service, project management, academia, policy research and strategic communications.
Since our inception 160 years ago, the University of Sydney has led to improve the world around us. We believe in education for all and that effective leadership makes lives better. These same values are reflected in our approach to diversity and inclusion and underpin our long-term strategy for growth. We’re Australia's first university and have an outstanding global reputation for academic and research excellence. Across our campuses, we employ over 8,100 academic and non-academic staff who support over 73,000 students.
We are undergoing significant transformative change which brings opportunity for innovation, progressive thinking, breaking with convention, challenging the status quo, and improving the world around us.
How to apply
For more information on the position and University, please view the position description available from the job’s listing on the University of Sydney careers website.
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit https://www.sydney.edu.au/about-us/careers-at-sydney.html and search by the reference number 1531/1220F to apply.
Please note: Visa sponsorship is not available for this position
Closing date: 11:30pm, Sunday 17 January 2021
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
Show moreShow less
Impress this employer describing Your skills and abilities, fill out the form below and leave Your personal touch in the presentation letter.
- IMMEDIATE START ~ Initial 2-6 month contract - Must demonstrate minimum 3 + years of experience - Please contact Erin Dixson - 0431 682 311 / [email protected] Our client is one of Aust [...]
Seeking Security Officers with Retail Shopping Centre Experience. We are actively seeking Security Officers that have Retail Shopping Centre Experience with in the Security Industry. We have Per [...]
Overview: - Based in the Sydney CBD - 6-month temp role to start ASAP - $60 - $67 per hour + super. - Manage business operations functions; plan and deliver all major events produced by the [...]
- Position: Senior DevOps Specialist: UrbanCode Deploy - Company: Financial Services (Insurance) - Contract position - Initial 6 months with a view to extend Hawksworth are sourcing a DevOps Spe [...]