Our bold vision, captured in our Strategic Plan: making a Difference: The 2025 Agenda, is to be internationally recognised as a world leader in research, an innovator in contemporary education, and the source of Australia’s most enterprising graduates.
To realise this ambition, we recently made a significant organisation change to a six College structure with a professional staff and services alignment.
We recognise the key to our success is exceptional people and we’re seeking an outstanding individual to join the team of our transformed university.
Fixed Term (Fixed Term)
Fixed-term, part-time (0.5 FTE) available until 31 December 2021
Academic Level C
$119,641 - $137,625 FTE
Reporting to the Academic Lead Rural and Remote Health (CRH), this Teaching Specialist (Clinical/Practitioner) position, with its primary focus on teaching and teaching-related activities drawing on contemporary/professional practice, has an important role to play in the University’s achievement of its strategic plan, Making a Difference: The 2025 Agenda.
The University is committed to a student-centred ethos and to developing creative, enterprising, career-ready graduates prepared to become lifelong contributors to society. In accordance with the strategic plan, the University seeks to:
- deliver a richly interactive and personalised approach to learning focussed on student success;
- be an international leader in educational innovation, advanced learning technologies and learning analytics; and
- develop enterprising graduates equipped with the skills required for success in the knowledge economy.
The Senior Lecturer will facilitate educational programs that aim to prepare a health workforce for the unique context of remote and Indigenous acute and primary health care. As a medical practitioner, the incumbent will contribute medical expertise to the health professional education team of Rural and Remote Health in Central Australia. They will perform teaching and administration duties, provide high quality teaching and engage with the professional and wider local community in line with Flinders University’s commitment to social accountability.
Specific activities include contributing to the coordination and delivery of topics within the Flinders Remote Health Practice programs and contributing to the NT Medical Program and health professional student's learning on placement in Central Australia.
Key Position Responsibilities
This role is predominantly concerned with teaching and teaching-related duties involving the creation, delivery and content of university-level education. It includes (but is not limited to): direct teaching informed by approaches that enhance the student experience; educational leadership; curriculum design and review; delivery innovation; advancements in education technologies; involvement in the professional accreditation of courses. Appointees bring recent, ongoing (concurrent) or extensive experience and knowledge of contemporary clinical/professional practice to the role.
The role is also expected to make a contribution to high-quality university, professional and community service. The role does not include making a research contribution.
- Create, coordinate and conduct inspiring teaching informed by approaches that enhance the student experience, with a focus on Remote Health Practice topics, across all levels and modes of the College, with a focus on clinical skills and knowledge relevant to independent practice and/or supervision of students undertaking work integrated learning.
- Contribute to the planning and evaluation of these topics, undertaking the roles of Topic Coordinator and Course Coordinator as required.
- Play a lead role in the review, renewal, development and design of curricula and courses that are attractive to existing and new cohorts of students and that nurture creativity and critical-thinking skills.
- Provide support, academic counselling and professional advice to students concerning their studies, professional development and career opportunities.
- Make effective use of innovations and technologies in teaching practice.
- Provide educational leadership and dissemination of best practice, ensuring awareness and utilisation of contemporary education principles.
- Engage in coaching, mentoring, supervising student projects; research higher degree supervision as an Adjunct Supervisor.
University, Professional and Service:
- Contribute at a significant level in the College’s administrative activities such as leadership on committees and working groups and attendance at and/or coordination of College meetings.
- Significant involvement in and/or leading activities relating to internal and external compliance and professional accreditation of courses.
- Maintain professional knowledge relevant to teaching within their discipline through scholarship and professional development.
- Engage in activities within a relevant external professional domain such as professional associations, conferences and workshops, and within a wider community context at local, national or international level.
- Any other responsibilities in line with the level of the position as assigned by the Supervisor and/or the University.
Key Position Capabilities
- A doctorate in a relevant field or equivalent clinical/professional experience and standing in Medicine.
- Currently registered or eligible for registration with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (Ahpra).
- Hold and maintain a current membership with relevant medical or medical education based professional bodies or societies.
- Relevant and extensive contemporary clinical experience in a relevant field.
- Significant and sustained excellence in teaching performance at a tertiary level.
- Significant and sustained evidence of development, delivery and evaluation of innovative teaching and learning strategies, including student assessment.
- Demonstrated willingness and ability to contribute to the scholarship in teaching through participation in teaching and learning strategies and in professional development in higher education teaching.
- Demonstrated excellent oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills, including the ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with staff, students and industry.
- Demonstrated understanding of rural/remote practice particularly with respect to the issues affecting medical workforce, Aboriginal and Torres Strait islander health.
- Demonstrates a commitment to fostering a positive workplace culture, and role modelling behaviours that support the University’s Reconciliation Action Plan (RAP) and commitment to enhancing educational opportunities for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
- Experience in coordinating and/or leading the activities of other staff (desirable).
- Applicants who identify as Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are also strongly encouraged to apply (desirable)
Northern Territory Government legislation (the Care and Protection of Children Act 2007) now requires all individuals in child related employment or whose duties involve, or are likely to involve, contact with a child, to hold a valid ‘Working with Children Clearance’ (Ochre Card). This position involves child related work and is assessed as requiring a Working with Children Clearance/Ochre Card
For application enquiries please contact: Professor Robyn Aitken
Information for Applicants: You are required to provide a suitability statement of no more than three pages, addressing the key capabilities of the position as outlined above. In addition, you are required to upload your CV.
A valid National Police Certificate which is satisfactory to the University will also be required before the successful applicant can commence in this position.
We are seeking to increase the diversity to improve equal opportunity outcomes for employees, and therefore we encourage female applicants, people with a disability and/or from Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islanders descent to apply.
Please note, late applications and applications sent via agencies will not be accepted.
Applications to be submitted before:
17 Nov 2020
Impress this employer describing Your skills and abilities, fill out the form below and leave Your personal touch in the presentation letter.
Department of Education, Northern Territory GovernmentAlice Springs Salary: Undisclosed Contract type: Full Time Contract term: Permanent Date Posted: 26 Nov 2020 Closing date: 8 Dec 2020 The Ma [...]
- Base Salary: $67,919 - $75,563 (p.a.) - Total Effective Package: $85,433 - $93,958 (p.a.)* - 9 months maximum term contract Central Australian Aboriginal Congress not only offers rewarding care [...]
Job description Agency Department of Corporate and Digital Work unit Recruitment Services Development Job title Recruitment Officer Designation Administrative Officer 3 Job type Full T [...]
Who we are: Help riders get around town by using Uber and get the fares you make each trip paid weekly into your account. Using the Uber app is a great way to earn cash on your schedule. The more yo [...]