UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
- Senior Biostatistician required to provide statistical analysis to the Health and Clinical Analytics team, a research group of the Sydney School of Public Health in the Faculty of Medicine and Health
- Located with the School of Public Health on the Camperdown Campus
- Full-time, 12 month fixed term with a base salary of $107K p.a., plus leave loading and a generous employer’s contribution to superannuation
About the opportunity
The Health and Clinical Analytics team within the Sydney School of Public Health at the University of Sydney is currently seeking a Senior Biostatistician to use their advanced statistical skills and expertise to conduct relevant statistical work and support research within the team.
In this role you will plan and undertake analysis, provide study design advice, contribute to ethics and grant applications while playing a key role in the support, coordination and integration of project and centre initiatives and activities.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for a Senior Biostatistician who has:
- an undergraduate degree majoring in statistics or other relevant discipline and/or equivalent extensive statistical programming experience
- extensive experience in statistical analyses, interpretation and presentation of complex and/or large datasets of health data
- experience with statistical software packages (preferably R) for the manipulation and analysis of data
- good communication skills and is able towork in a team environment
- strong time and project management skills
- a demonstrated ability to pay attention to detail and ensure work delivered is accurate and of a high quality
- a demonstrated willingness to learn new technologies and techniques
Experience in the following areas will be highly desirable:
- clinical trials research
- experience with Bayesian statistical methods, including for modelling hierarchical/longitudinal data
- familiarity with modern classification techniques or any form of machine learning
- familiarity with the principals and/or implementation of reproducible research and/or data science
- GCP or clinical trials accreditation/qualification
The Health and Clinical Analytics Team are looking at new ways to conduct clinical trials to observe and measure the effectiveness of vaccine programs, explore new prevention strategies through disease modelling and provide real-world results that are immediately applicable. We use a range of methods to conduct our research, including pragmatic randomised controlled trials, observational comparative effectiveness studies, data linkage studies, and causal network and transmission modelling. We specialise in all aspects of the design and implementation of pragmatic and adaptive clinical research studies.
The School of Public Health is Australia’s first and largest school of public health with 300 staff, more than 1000 students and a community of academics, educators, staff, research groups and centres that offer a wide range of education and research opportunities. The school’s vision is for a global community where everyone’s needs for good health and wellbeing are met. This vision extends to those with the greatest need, who would benefit most from improved health and reduced inequalities. The school pursues this vision by providing high quality, accessible education; conducting outstanding, high impact research; and by working in partnership to translate knowledge into policy, action and evaluation.School staff have an outstanding reputation and are leaders in their field – including in areas such as tobacco control, chronic disease prevention, healthy ageing, infectious disease, population health metrics and physical activity.
Since our inception 160 years ago, the University of Sydney has led to improve the world around us. We believe in education for all and that effective leadership makes lives better. These same values are reflected in our approach to diversity and inclusion and underpin our long-term strategy for growth. We’re Australia's first university and have an outstanding global reputation for academic and research excellence. Across our campuses, we employ over 8,100 academic and non-academic staff who support over 73,000 students.
We are undergoing significant transformative change which brings opportunity for innovation, progressive thinking, breaking with convention, challenging the status quo, and improving the world around us.
How to apply
For more information on the position and University, please view the position description available from the job’s listing on the University of Sydney careers website.
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit https://sydney.edu.au/about-us/careers-at-sydney.html and search by the reference number 1201/1020F to apply.
Closing date: 11:30pm, Wednesday 25 November 2020
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.
©The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
Impress this employer describing Your skills and abilities, fill out the form below and leave Your personal touch in the presentation letter.
Immediate start. Busy landscape team looking for additional labour to work as landscape assistants to help our tradesman complete projects. Previous construction experience preferred, a good attitude [...]
hi. We’re hipages. hipages provides a better, smarter way to connect tradies and consumers and get the job done well. Our purpose is to make home improvement effortlessly efficient, creating hap [...]
Established in 2010, and pushing the limited in the NSW recruitment sector we have seen outstanding growth during COVID19 due to our resilience, trusted leadership and clear direction. We pride o [...]
CEVA Logistics, one of the world's leading non-asset based supply chain management companies, designs and implements industry leading solutions for large and medium-size national and multinational com [...]