Children's Cancer Institute
- Innovative, collaborative and positive team-orientated environment
- Modern, world-class facilities
- Convenient Randwick location, close to transport
- Fixed Term Contract until December 2021 – strong potential for extension
The Zero Childhood Cancer national personalised medicine Program (ZERO), a joint initiative of Children’s Cancer Institute and Kids Cancer Centre, Sydney Children’s Hospital, Randwick, was established to identify improved treatment options for paediatric cancer patients. Strategies to identify personalised treatment options include full molecular profiling of tumour biopsies,
high-throughput in vitro drug testing on patient-derived model systems and in vivo drug validation in patient-derived xenograft models.
To elevate the in vitro drug testing pipeline to the highest level of clinical translation, you are a highly enthusiastic and motivated Research Assistant that will strengthen our team.
The Research Assistant will support other researchers by taking responsibility for performing in vitro high-throughput drug screens on incoming patient samples and to generate reference drug efficacy datasets, by implementing novel methods and (laboratory) technologies to improve the in vitro drug testing pipeline and by carrying out experiments as part of associated strategic research projects designed to enhance the testing platform and accelerate improved treatment options for children with cancer.
This position requires experience with in vitro cell-based screening assays and excellent teamwork and communication skills, adaptability, meticulous attention to detail, and close adherence to deadlines so that test results can be provided in a timely manner.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Perform all steps involved in high-throughput screening of small molecule libraries for in vitro drug efficacy testing on patient-derived cells from haematologic and solid tumours or other reference model systems
- Maintain a database containing the in vitro drug sensitivity testing conditions for each sample and other relevant information that might be important for data interpretation and clinical translation
- Manage and coordinate the entry and maintenance of in vitro drug sensitivity testing data in ZERO’s Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS)
- Coordination and sample preparation for molecular profiling of in vitro model systems used for drug testing to study molecular similarities with matching tumour biopsies
- Contribute to the implementation of drug combination screens in the preclinical drug testing pipeline
- Contribute to the design and implementation of other methods or (laboratory) technologies to improve the in vitro drug testing pipeline
- Carrying out experiments as part of spin-off research projects as required
- Participate as a team member within the Preclinical Drug Testing Core team, working with other Research Assistants, team coordinators and other members of ZERO and the Personalised Medicine Theme as needed, and report on HTS progress
Qualifications, experience and skills required:
- Minimum Bachelor degree in Science (Honours or equivalent) or related area
- 2+ years relevant laboratory experience highly desirable
- Experience with cancer cell biology highly desirable
- Experience with and technical and scientific understanding of in vitro drug testing methodologies
- Experience with assay development for in vitro drug screening
- Experience with primary cell cultures is highly desirable
- Advanced computer skills
- Experience with PC2 and WHS standards and behaviour highly desirable
- Commitment to conducting experiments involving humans, animals & GMOs under strict ethical and regulatory guidelines
Children’s Cancer Institute is strongly committed to the growth of their employees, so all team members can fulfil their aspirations. You'll be rewarded with a friendly and professional flexible work environment, comprehensive on-campus facilities, competitive salary, salary packaging options, on-site parking options, access to a leading EAP program and regular social activities. Join a group of dedicated people in a performance-driven environment to achieve success and discover what it's like to look forward to coming to work every day and make a real difference. We're looking for people who share our values of accountability, integrity and camaraderie, teamwork, sharing and excellence, success and satisfaction.
A detailed job description and additional information about Children's Cancer Institute can be found on our website at: www.childrenscancerinstitute.org.au. We embrace diversity and encourage applications from people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
Impress this employer describing Your skills and abilities, fill out the form below and leave Your personal touch in the presentation letter.
Provide specialist corporate law, financial services & front-end insurance legal advice & minimise risk Your new company Hays Legal have partnered with a privately owned, global financial serv [...]
Employment Type: Temporary Part Time (2 days per week, from Nov 2020 up to Dec 2021) Position Classification: Health Manager Level 4 Remuneration: $127,384 - $152,407, plus Superannuation Locatio [...]
Employment Type: Permanent Part Time Position Classification: Administration Officer Level 2A Remuneration: $29.60 - $30.05 per hour Hours Per Week: 30 Requisition ID: REQ179485 Where you' [...]
- $65,832.52 - $73,997 p.a. plus 9.5% Superannuation - Fixed Term, Full-time (6 Months) - Access to Council’s Variable Working Hours Shoalhaven City Council is a dynamic organisation serving a [...]