Government of Western Australia
Department of Education Independent Public School - South Metropolitan Education Region Applecross Senior High School Education Assistant - Special Needs Pool Ref IPS/SS645060 Level 2/3, $28.00 - $32.50 per hour (EA (Gov) GA 2019)
Applecross Senior High School (SHS) are seeking to establish a pool for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2021 school year. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2021 school year.
As an Education Assistant – Special Needs you will assist students to develop confidence and a sense of well-being in a variety of educational settings. You will possess a calm,
positive and professional manner and have the ability to work collaboratively with colleagues.
In addition to the duties listed for an Education Assistant – Special Needs, you may at times be required to undertake the generic duties which under teacher direction include meeting the individual educational and care needs of students with a range of special needs – intellectual disabilities, physical disabilities, sensory impairments (vision and hearing), autistic spectrum disorders and challenging behaviours. Ideally, you will have excellent interpersonal and communication skills to provide support to ensure the learning environment is inclusive and relevant. Relevant Experience working in a Senior High School setting will be highly advantageous.
Applecross SHS is situated approximately 8 kilometres south of the city of Perth, embraces a tradition of excellence and maintains a reputation for high academic, vocational sporting and cultural achievements for secondary students in Years 7 to 12.The school offers programs in Vocational Education and Training Visual Arts (Gifted and Talented) and elite Tennis (Specialist Program) plus Academic Extension programs. The Academic Extension Program provides special classes for students who have been selected on the basis of their performance. Students in the Program are offered a wide range of rich learning experiences and are required to complete more in-depth studies to develop high level skills and competencies to become independent learners.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
For further information about Applecross SHS please visit or .
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available
For further job related information
Please contact Rachael Ainge, Manager Corporate Services, by telephoning (08) 9314 9306 or emailing
During the vacation period, please contact Rachael Ainge on 0419 033 732.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A three (3) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to five (5) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check; and
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Wednesday, 21 October 2020
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.
You can view and print these PDF attachments by downloading .
WORK TYPE: Permanent - Part Time, Permanent - Full Time, Fixed Term - Part Time, Fixed Term - Full Time FTE: 0.1-1.0 LOCATION: Ardross CLOSING DATE: 2020-10-21 4:30 PM
Impress this employer describing Your skills and abilities, fill out the form below and leave Your personal touch in the presentation letter.
Company Information Description Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/TCH646117 Appointment Pool Applecross Senior High School (SHS) is seeking to establish a pool of passionate and hardworking Humanitie [...]
Company Information Description Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/TCH647903 This is a permanent full-time position commencing Term 1, 2021. Applecross Senior High School (SHS) is seeking a dedicated [...]
Department of Education Independent Public School - South Metropolitan Education Region Applecross Senior High School Teacher - Mathematics 00000116 Teacher, $71,137 - $106,049 per annum (SEA GA 2019) [...]
Department of Education Independent Public School - South Metropolitan Education Region Applecross Senior High School Teacher - Humanities and Social Sciences Pool Ref IPS/TCH646117 Teacher, $71,137 - [...]