Nepean Blue Mountains Local Health District
Employment Type : Temporary Full Time (until 30/06/2022)
Position Classification :Snr Health Edu Off Grad, Snr Health Edu Off Non-Grad
Remuneration :Dependent on Qualifications Hours Per Week : 38
Requisition ID : REQ186447
Application Close: 30/09/2020 This position will be located at Katoomba Health Centre
This position is dependent on Qualifications:
Senior Health Education Officer Graduate - ($101,786.00 - $110,222.00)
Senior Health Education Officer Non-Graduate - ($83,005.00 - $86,265.00)
Together, Achieving Better Health
Nepean Blue Mountains Local Health District will drive innovation and excellence in health service delivery that provides safe, equitable, high quality, accessible,
timely and efficient services that are responsive to the needs of patients and the community.
Nepean Blue Mountains Local Health District is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively encourages diversity and inclusion within our workforce. In the Nepean Blue Mountains Local Health District Mental Health Service, we value and strive for a diverse and inclusive workplace. We aim to enrich our working environment and deliver excellent care to all consumers, their families and carers, no matter their background or needs. We encourage and welcome applications from people from diverse backgrounds including: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders; people living with disability; people from a Cultural and Linguistically Diverse (CALD) background; people who identify as LGBTQI+, people with a lived experience of mental health concerns and people of mature age.
About the Role
The Professional Lead Peer Worker (Suicide Prevention) leads and develops the Peer Workforce, developing strategic directions, governance and roles aligned with the NBMLHD Mental Health Service Strategic Plan (50% of time) and fulfils the role of a peer worker in suicide prevention (50% of time).
Work in partnership with the Consumer Participation Coordinator and Towards Zero Suicides Program Manager to:
- Lead the District Peer Worker Meeting and develop annual work plans for the peer workforce
- Increase lived experience participation in all aspects of service planning, design, delivery and evaluation, including participating as a leader in these processes
- Provide supervision to peer workers
- Build capacity of the mental health workforce to prioritise suicide prevention
- Build mental health workforce insight into lived experience of mental distress and suicidality and the value of peer workers in promoting recovery
Senior Peer Worker
Work as part of the Acute Community Mental Health Service to support people experiencing acute psychological distress and suicidal crisis. The Acute Community Mental Health Service comprises Step Up/Step Down acute care provided in consumers’ homes or in clinics, the Triage and Assessment Centre at Nepean Hospital, Alternatives to Emergency Departments, Assertive Suicide Prevention Outreach and the Zero Suicides in Care program. The service will operate both within business hours and after hours. Evening and weekend work will be a requirement of the role.
Alternatives to Emergency Departments
This service will provide rapid, compassionate care in a welcoming and supportive non-clinical environment to consumers who present in acute psychological distress and suicidal crisis. This is an alternative to presenting to an Emergency Department. Peer workers and clinicians will actively work to minimise distress by providing compassionate care, and adopting a holistic approach that recognises cultural understandings and psychosocial causes of distress.
Assertive Suicide Prevention Outreach Team
This team comprises peer workers and clinicians who respond in peer/clinician pairs to support people in acute psychological distress or suicidal crisis. They engage with people in their homes or in preferred community locations. The clinician and peer worker work as equal partners each bringing their own expertise. Early contact will focus on psychosocial reasons for distress, stabilisation, safety planning and distress recognition. There will also be a focus on linkage with outpatient and community services, and on supporting families, friends and carers.
About Nepean Blue Mountains Local Health District
The Nepean Blue Mountains Local Health District provides world-class clinical care, research and innovation, and is committed to providing a workplace culture that values and promotes the growth of high performing teams and individuals. We are passionate about the work we do, and are committed to improving the health of our local community and enhancing the experience of all our patients.
See why people like you join our local health district – and welcome to the family!
To check out our diverse workforce and see some of our recent innovative and community-focused achievements, browse our YouTube channel:
If you would like more information about our Local Health district, please visit our website:
If you read this and think “Wow – that’s me!” then please review the position description and selection criteria for the role. You will need to submit an application electronically by clicking on the “Apply Now” button. So that we truly understand how perfect you are for this role, please ensure that you detail your experience, skills, knowledge and any other relevant information by responding to each selection criteria .
To apply, you need to be an Australian citizen, permanent resident or hold an appropriate work visa.
Selection Criteria to be addressed:
- Experience in lived experience roles of using own personal lived experience of mental distress and recovery to provide peer support to consumers; Certificate IV in Mental Health Peer Work (Consumer) or other relevant training/qualification, or successful attainment of Certificate IV in Mental Health Peer Work (Consumer) within 18 months of commencement
- Demonstrated ability to lead a team with an understanding of governance, standards, professional development and supervision as they apply to the lived experience workforce
- Demonstrated experience providing recovery-oriented and trauma-informed support to consumers (individual and group), with understanding of the suicide prevention sector and ability to utilise suicide prevention supports such as safety planning, managing risk (including promoting dignity of risk)
- Demonstrated knowledge of mental health services (public, primary care, community managed and private) with capacity to provide leadership in recovery-oriented service provision and consumer involvement in service design, implementation and evaluation
- Demonstrated ability to build effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders, with high level interpersonal and communication skills to negotiate and influence for outcomes, resolve conflict and motivate change
- Demonstrated conceptual, analytical, problem solving and planning skills, and ability to apply these in developing high quality comprehensive service design, implementation and evaluation plans and reports; proficiency with Microsoft Office and ability to utilise a range of software applications for these tasks
- Demonstrated ability to work autonomously with minimal direct supervision across a broad geographic area and complex organisation
- Current Driver's Licence and willingness to use for work purpose travel
Impress this employer describing Your skills and abilities, fill out the form below and leave Your personal touch in the presentation letter.
Your new company This established and market-leading organisation are respected in their field of expertise, supplying well recognised hospitality businesses across a large industry base. They hold [...]
IT Security Senior Analyst, Intelligence and Risk, Permanent, $90k-$100k p/a Super Your new company Your new job will be within a leading financial institution with a head office in the heart o [...]
***SUBCONTRACT OWNER DRIVERS WANTED *** ***VANS***TRAYS***WANTED $$$ WORK TODAY - GET PAID TODAY!! $$$ Due to exciting growth in Brisbane, Civic Transport have an opportunity for drivers to join [...]
Collaborating with a team primarily in commercial construction, this work will be in Sydney's West. Your new company This Company approaches construction and development with a great attitude. [...]