headspace is Australia's National Youth Mental Health Foundation. Our mission is to deliver improvements in the mental health, social wellbeing and economic participation of young people aged 12 to 25 years.
We are looking for a Community Development Officer to join our headspace Taringa centre. This role focuses on developing and implementing strategic community development initiatives to address current and emerging issues in the area of youth mental health; strengthen communication between the headspace centre and the local community; and strengthen the headspace centre’s capacity to advocate, support and address the needs of identified key priority groups – including, but not limited to,
youth; Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people; families; LGBTQIA+ young people and culturally and linguistically diverse people.
The role will involve the development and delivery of health promotion activities and events, as well as promoting the services of the headspace centre to encourage and assist young people with early and meaningful access to health and other services, and to increase mental health literacy among young people and the wider community to assist in breaking down the stigma of mental health. This is a part time position, 22.8 hours per week.
You will be an experienced professional with considerable knowledge and experience in community development and youth advocacy. You will work collaboratively with all staff located at the headspace centre to help ensure the centre delivers youth-focussed services to young people. Further, you will possess the following attributes:
- Tertiary qualifications in a relevant discipline (such as Community Development, Health Promotion, Public Health, Social/Behavioural Science, and/or Social Work/Planning), or relevant equivalent experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge of working within a Community Development Framework, specifically in the areas of youth, mental health, alcohol and other drug, and/or other social issues.
- Demonstrated knowledge of project management principles with the demonstrated ability to plan, develop, and implement strategic initiatives related to youth engagement and community development settings.
- Sound knowledge of and capacity to implement community effective engagement techniques, including the effective use of digital media applications.
- Demonstrated highly developed social research, analytical and evaluation skills related to community service initiatives.
- Demonstrated highly developed interpersonal and communication and reporting skills with the ability to liaise and network across the community and service agencies.
- Demonstrated sound computer skills and experience with Microsoft Office Suite.
The Following Attributes Would Be Desirable
- Demonstrated understating of the not-for-profit/non-government sector, in particular in relation to mental health.
- Demonstrated understanding of risk management and workplace health and safety.
- Ability to conduct bio-psycho-social assessments and risk assessments of young people presenting to the service using the headspace assessment tool. Document the results of assessment and screening and develop action plans for ongoing support.
Further, you must hold a current unrestricted drivers’ licence and well-maintained vehicle; and hold or be able to attain a working with children Blue Card.
- Joining a positive, inclusive, values-focussed team culture.
- Opportunities to further your professional development.
- Building your professional network throughout headspace and other organisations.
- Salary packaging.
- Access to an Employee Assistance Program.
Be part of an exciting time of growth and opportunity in an organisation that you can be proud.
Open Minds is a registered NDIS provider. Our team works to enhance mental health and wellbeing by delivering tailored supports to people living with mental ill health, disability or acquired brain injury.
Show moreShow less
Impress this employer describing Your skills and abilities, fill out the form below and leave Your personal touch in the presentation letter.
Connect with Telstra We’re at the heart of technological change and we’re helping to make it happen by connecting everything to everyone. And that’s where you come in, to help us create a brill [...]
Sustainable Minerals Institute (SMI) One of UQ’s eight research institutes, the Sustainable Minerals Institute (SMI) consists of some 200 staff and postgraduate students covering the areas of minin [...]
Employment TypeCasual Closing Date26 Aug 2020 11:59pm Job TitleCustomer Sales and Service Consultant Indooroopilly Job Description Connect with Telstra We’re at the heart of technological change and [...]
Who are P3 Financial Planning We are a boutique financial planning firm based in Indooroopilly, for the past 16+ years. Our main focus is providing quality advice to our wealth accumulation and re [...]