University of New South Wales
$95,000 - $103,000 a year
Job no: 497687
Work type: Fixed term / Full time
Location: Sydney, NSW
Categories: Post doctoral research fellow
At UNSW, we pride ourselves on being a workplace where the best people come to do their best work.
The Australian Government’s Women in STEM Ambassador, Prof. Lisa Harvey-Smith, is responsible for increasing the participation of women and girls in STEM studies and careers across Australia. The Women in STEM Ambassador’s team works to address gender equity issues across all STEM disciplines in the education and training, research, academic and industry sectors.
The Research Associate will conduct collaborative and self-directed research that aligns with the goals of the Women in STEM Ambassador portfolio. The position will work under the direction of the Women in STEM Ambassador on projects examining gender equity issues in STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics), using qualitative and quantitative research methodologies. The position will contribute to building the Women in STEM Ambassador’s research profile and produce evidence-based outputs to be utilised by external stakeholders such as policy makers, educators and professional organisations. This position is offered as full time or part time/flexible. We welcome applicants who wish to work remotely (within Australia).
About the role
- $95K - $103K plus 9.5% Superannuation and annual leave loading
- Fixed Term – until November 2020
- Full-time (35 hours per week) or part time/flexible
- UNSW Science values work-life balance and offers flexible working arrangements including part-time flexibility, job-sharing and the option to work from home if needed.
The Research Associate reports to the Women in STEM Ambassador and has no direct reports.
Specific responsibilities for this role include:
- Undertake quantitative and qualitative research in the area of gender equity and Women in STEM.
- Conduct research projects examining the impact of existing programs and initiatives aimed at improving gender diversity in STEM.
- Support the end-to-end development and execution of research projects, ensuring milestones and deadlines are met.
- Manage and conduct literature reviews, ethics applications, research recruitment, data collection (including with vulnerable population groups), coding and research records.
- Review existing research literature to develop evidence-based evaluation guidelines for Women in STEM initiatives.
- Engage effectively with stakeholders, develop productive relationships and work in collaboration with team members across UNSW as well as form new partnerships and collaborations.
- Prepare reports, presentations, posters and manuscripts for an expert audience and for peer review.
- Maintain a sound governance framework for research activities and ensure appropriate reporting and documentation of research outcomes.
- Monitor and manage changing and/or emerging issues in research projects and provide advice and/or solutions in areas of responsibility and escalate where necessary.
- Work closely with the Project Officer, Women in STEM Ambassador to identify opportunities, manage the project budget and grant reporting.
- Undertake such other duties as are requested by the Women in STEM Ambassador or their delegated authority.
- Cooperate with all health and safety policies and procedures of the university and take all reasonable care to ensure that your actions or omissions do not impact on the health and safety of yourself or others.
About the successful applicant
To be successful in this role you will have:
- A PhD (or soon to be awarded) in social sciences, psychology or a related discipline and research expertise in gender studies and/or STEM education.
- Demonstrated quantitative and qualitative research skills, including experience of survey design, interviewing, focus groups and participant observation.
- Ability to understand research problems and interpret and analyse social issues.
- Demonstrated capacity for self-directed project management, data collection and analysis, and an ability to work to agreed timelines.
- Demonstrated ability to undertake independent research and work positively and cooperatively as part of a team and across various stakeholder organisations.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to translate research and data analysis for a range of audiences.
- Demonstrated knowledge of relevant IT software including Microsoft Office, data analysis tools and referencing software.
- The ability to collaborate with other disciplines in the Faculty of Science and across other Faculties is encouraged.
- Knowledge of health and safety responsibilities and commitment to attending relevant health and safety training.
You should systematically address the selection criteria listed within the position description in your application. Please apply online - applications will not be accepted if sent to the contact listed.
E: [email protected]
Applications close: September 5th, 2019
Find out more about working at UNSW at www.unsw.edu.au
UNSW aspires to be the exemplar Australian university and employer of choice for people from diverse backgrounds. UNSW aims to ensure equality in recruitment, development, retention and promotion of staff and that no-one is disadvantaged on the basis of their gender, cultural background, disability, sexual orientation or identity or Indigenous heritage. We encourage everyone who meets the selection criteria to apply.
UNSW partners with Australia’s leading diversity organisations, networks, and campaigns. Please refer to UNSW’s diversity offerings for further information on our flexible work and leave options, and support for carers (childcare, parent rooms, parental leave).
Advertised: 16 Aug 2019 AUS Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: 05 Sep 2019 AUS Eastern Standard Time
Impress this employer describing Your skills and abilities, fill out the form below and leave Your personal touch in the presentation letter.
Sydney NSW Contract $94,418 a year Job no: 497502 Work type: Fixed term / Full time Location: Sydney, NSW Categories: Finance - One of Australia’s leading research & teaching universi [...]
Sydney NSW Contract $95,462 - $103,318 a year Job no: 497336 Work type: Fixed term / Full time Location: Sydney, NSW Categories: Administration At UNSW, we pride ourselves on being a work [...]
Key Selection CriteriaA relevant degree with experience in research and research administration or similar role or equivalent competence gained through another combination of education, training and e [...]
Send Save You need to sign in or create an account to save Apply One of the Asia-Pacific’s leading research intensive Universities Strong regional and global engagement Located at Kensington S [...]