Gordon Institute of TAFE
It is this role that will lead and inspire a culture of academic excellence in vocational education within
Education Development and across the Institute. The team is key to ensuring the Institute becomes
high performing and that our educators enhance The Gordon’s reputation and position in the
Vocational Training and Education market.
The position is accountable for the leadership and day to day operations of Education Development,
which is responsible for the provision of quality services in all aspects of teaching excellence,
pedagogy and leading contemporary educator practices and resource development.
The role will work in strong collaboration with educational delivery Centres to provide both strategic
and operational guidance and support as well as within financial and regulatory environments of the
This role also provides operational management to the Library and Bookshop.
Major Objectives and Responsibilities
• Promote a culture of academic excellence in vocational education and nurture the
ongoing development of educators at The Gordon.
- Positively contribute to building and maintaining the Institute’s reputation as a training
provider of choice, maintaining student confidence through innovative and engaging
delivery and assessment options.
- Provide guidance to the Program areas and educators on the delivery of relevant
compliant and flexible course material.
- Promote the use of future delivery methodologies that incorporate digital technologies,
e-learning and flexible delivery and focus on building teaching staff capability.
- Design and deliver professional educator skill development opportunities aligned to
educational practices and in-line with professional currency requirements.
• Manage and develop the Education Development team to ensure that individual skills
are enhanced and potential realised.
- Motivate, coach and manage the team towards the achievement of goals
- Ensure Centre and individual plans align with the strategic priorities for the Institute
- Drive a culture of achievement that acknowledges the input of others
- Maintain a safe, positive and productive work environment free from discrimination,
bullying and harassment
- Encourage and lead staff to undertake relevant professional development
- Identify potential situations that may put the Institute at risk ensuring consistency with
the Child Safe Standards and respond in accordance with Institute’s policies and
- Manage allocated financial, human and system resources with a focus on cost control,
return on investment, efficiency, and competitors to ensure the delivery of teaching,
projects and other tasks.
- Contribute to and lead others as required in the planning, review and reporting
processes to assist in meeting business area objectives.
3. Innovation and Continuous Improvement
• Contribute to the review, refresh and alignment of teaching tools and resources
promoting a culture of learning and support.
- Facilitate workshops for educators, seeking participant feedback to inform continuous
improvement in content, delivery and course offerings.
- Research, review and report on trending changes in training and assessment
methodologies and ensure that The Gordon is informed of competitive opportunities to
improve our service offering.
4. Service Excellence
• Ensure resources produced by the department are compliant with relevant legislation,
standards and guidelines.
- Contribute to the internal and external audit programs.
- Establish The Gordon’s professional educator development framework to clearly
demonstrate the value of participation to managers and staff.
- Prepare and distribute high quality reports, submissions, briefings and correspondence
regarding a range of learning and organisational development subjects to ensure the
Centre maintains current and valid offerings which address the true needs of the
workforce and meet the objectives of the Institute.
- Monitor, evaluate and analyse the effectiveness of learning and organisational
development initiatives to allow identified gaps and inefficiencies to be addressed.
5. Business Alignment
- Build and maintain strong relationships with senior leaders across the Institute,
ensuring delivery of a complete, seamless and customer focused educator
- Participate in key Institute Committees e.g. Board of Studies.
- Support and provide expert advice into key funding opportunities identified as priorities
by the Institute.
- Drive a culture of cross-function collaboration, sharing and support within The Gordon.
- Provide strong leadership to the Centre to ensure a consistent approach to the
provision of quality services in all aspects of teaching excellence and pedagogy.
6. Collaboration and Partnership
• Participate in relevant meetings and professional groups/associations to remain up-to-
date with current educational trends and practices
- Actively represent the Institute in Industry associations, acting as a brand ambassador
for attracting high quality talent to educator roles at the Institute
7. A demonstrated commitment to the Gordon’s values and behaviours.
8. Actively participate in an annual performance planning and review process.
9. Comply with all Institute policies and procedures, and legislative requirements, including:
Staff Code of Conduct; Customer Service standards; Quality Management; Equal
Opportunity; Occupational Health and Safety; Child Safe Standards; Victorian Information
Privacy Act; and contribute to the identification, reporting and control of risks within areas of
responsibility and Institute wide.
10. Other duties as directed by the relevant Manager.
Key Selection Criteria
1. Diploma or higher qualification in adult vocational education and demonstrated experience in
a similar role.
2. Significant previous experience in a management role in an education environment.
3. Proven capacity to drive business and operational planning, delivery and performance.
4. Demonstrated ability to plan and drive responsive development and implementation of new
products, services and educational delivery methodologies.
5. Demonstrated leadership and people management experience in building an effective and
6. Effective communication, negotiation and interpersonal skills, including demonstrated
experience in gaining support from internal, industry, government and community
7. Proven ability to management complex budgets.
8. Experience in developing, leading, planning and managing tertiary (VET and Higher
9. Ability to demonstrate The Gordon’s values and behaviours.
1 Demonstrated Information and Communication Technology skills, e.g. experience using the
Microsoft Office suite of programs.
2 Understanding of, and ability to apply, Customer Service, Quality Assurance and Human
Resource principles, including: Equal Opportunity; Occupational Health and Safety; and risk
Impress this employer describing Your skills and abilities, fill out the form below and leave Your personal touch in the presentation letter.
Geelong VIC Casual $70.37 - $76.02 an hour Positions classified as Teacher have the following characteristics. Some tasks will be more appropriate to senior levels of the Teacher classification. [...]
Geelong VIC Casual $70.37 - $76.02 an hour This position leads the day-to-day operations at the Library and Learning Hubs, ensuring facilities, collection and spaces are presented as vibrant, act [...]
Geelong VIC This position leads the day-to-day operations at the Library and Learning Hubs, ensuring facilities, collection and spaces are presented as vibrant, active and engaging environments. Th [...]
Geelong VIC This role is responsible for providing accurate and timely information to current and prospective students regarding courses, pathways and employment opportunities. As a service ali [...]