The Music program at Northcote HS is a significant component of the school curriculum and co-curricular program. Instrumental Music instruction and ensembles are part of the co-curricular program. There are 3 Concert Bands, 3 String Ensembles, 3 Stage bands, 4 Vocal Groups, and an Orchestra. Our students have achieved excellent results at numerous competitions and festivals. The school also has bi-annual international tours as well annual camps and rural tours. Our music program is a flagship program.
Northcote High is a vibrant co-educational school in the inner north of Melbourne.
The school has a rich intellectual culture that promotes connection with the community and with learning. Northcote High is a proudly local school appreciated by its community with an enrolment of almost 1800 students and 150 staff. Anticipated school growth is informed by school and student achievements alongside a growing youth demographic in the Darebin LGA. As such, a Campus Master Planning process is underway to support the development of facilities to best serve our students’ needs now and into the future.
Our teachers explicit focus on classroom instruction, on building relationships and on knowing students as learners is fundamental to maintaining outstanding outcomes for students. We are focussed on creating the conditions for success through a commitment to shared practice, reflective collegial work and implementing the schools agreed frameworks to support and extend all learners. Teachers as learners are an integral part of our vision and values, and we provide a comprehensive school led professional learning and enrichment program. The expertise and dedication of the staff is undoubtedly a strength of the school and our goal to be an employer of choice is supported by the range of development opportunities we seek for our staff.
In 2016 the school celebrated its’ 90th year and being one of only a few public high schools to continuously offer an excellent secondary education throughout this time. We remain steadfastly focused on maintaining a tradition of academic excellence, whilst developing innovative teaching and learning programs to equip our students with the skills required for a changing future. Our vibrant co-curricular programs provide valuable opportunities for students to learn, grow and build community in and beyond the school.
International engagement is also a feature of the school. We celebrate an active sister school program in China for over 20 years, a vibrant international student program, and have recently commenced delivery of Offshore VCE programs in two locations in China.
Key documents for applicants such as our Teaching and Learning Framework, curriculum models, AIP and Strategic Plan can be viewed on our school website.
For more information visit www.nhs.vic.edu.au
(SC1) Demonstrated high quality instrumental music tuition skills and capacity to successfully employ flexible and adaptive approaches to allow students to reach their full potential.
(SC2) Demonstrated high-level knowledge of instrumental music curricula.
(SC3) Demonstrated ability to choose relevant and challenging repertoire for both instrumental and ensemble programs.
(SC4) Demonstrated capacity to work successfully as a member of the music team.
(SC5) Demonstrated high level communication skills.
There is no attendance requirement during school vacation periods for this position.
Range 3 is distinguished by the introduction of management responsibility and accountability for the delivery of professional support services. The role will usually impact beyond the work area or professional field. It seeks to gain cooperation of other staff members or members of the school community to achieve specific objectives, such as in school administration, operations or educational programs.
Direction on targets and goals is provided but the position will have some degree of latitude in determining how they are achieved. This latitude will generally be limited by standard procedures and school policy. Deviation from standard procedures and school policy will require guidance and direction from senior management.
The provision of business management responsibilities becomes a feature at range 3. Management of staff to achieve the expected outcomes is a key responsibility. Staff management issues will be resolved with minimal reference to senior management, although guidance will be required in more complex cases. Senior management will be provided with timely reports and advice, although this will generally be confined to matters relating to the immediate work area, service provision or educational program and is unlikely to impact substantially on whole of school operations.
This is the minimum range for positions that carry a mandatory qualification requirement of not less than four years. Professional student support positions become a feature at range 3 (e.g. therapists, psychologists) where standard professional services are delivered. Professional support and guidance will be close at hand and deviation from standard procedures and school policy will require guidance and direction from senior management.
An education support class position supports the educational services being provided to students, but must not include duties of teaching as defined in clause 2.6.1 of the Education and Training Reform Act 2006 (Vic) or its successor. Supervision of students cannot be required except where it is an integral part of the employee's position or involves supervision of students individually or in small groups, in controlled circumstances, where the responsibility for students remains clearly with a teacher.
- Provide instrumental music tuition, including sessions to support students’ development of performance skills to complement the classroom VCE program, individually or in small groups.
- Work in conjunction with an Instrumental/Classroom Music Teacher to co-direct an ensemble (rehearsing before or after school)
- Undertake other tasks as directed by the Director of Performing Arts or the Principal.
- Attend related school events including camps, concerts.
- Participate in planning days.
Duties to be performed by Instrumental Music Instructors include:
- Use, reflect on and develop strategies which will result in maximum student progress within their particular musical discipline in both group and individual contexts
- Create a positive environment conducive to learning for students in line with the school’s policies and processes
- Be actively involved in the NHS Instrumental Curriculum development, implementation and evaluation through shared and collaborative practice with teaching staff.
- Integrate appropriate digital technologies into the programs
- Demonstrate high-level cooperation with colleagues in developing and implementing NHS’s Instrumental Music Program
- Adherence to the Instrumental Music Program as set out by the Director of Performing Arts in collaboration with the staff.
Co-curricular and performance
- Contribute to the school’s co-curricular program through the music program
- Participate in activities such as camps and concerts
- Be actively involved in the school’s music team professional learning program and keep abreast of all activities and developments in the music faculty.
- Perform duties with skill, care and diligence to demonstrate the professional expectations of the staff of NHS to the highest level
- Comply with all Government policies and legislation
- Complete an annual ES Performance and Development Plan with goals consistent with the school direction and purpose of the Music Program.
- Observe safe working practices including meeting the Child Safe Standards
- Assist in protecting the buildings, grounds and equipment of the school from damage; and
- Undertake other duties as determined by the school Principal and Director of Performing Arts
Who May Apply
Individuals with the aptitude, experience and/or qualifications to fulfill the specific requirements of the position.
EEO AND OHS Commitment
The Department values diversity and is committed to workforce diversity and equal opportunity in schools and all education workplaces. The Department recognises that the provision of family friendly, supportive, safe and harassment free workplaces is essential to high performance and promotes flexible work, diversity and safety across all schools and Department workplaces.
Child Safe Standards
Victorian government schools are child safe environments. Our schools actively promote the safety and wellbeing of all students, and all school staff are committed to protecting students from abuse or harm in the school environment, in accordance with their legal obligations including child safe standards. All schools have a Child Safety Code of Conduct consistent with the Department’s exemplar available at http://www.education.vic.gov.au/about/programs/health/protect/Pages/childsafestandards.aspx
The Department’s employees commit to upholding DET’s Values: Responsiveness, Integrity, Impartiality, Accountability, Respect, Leadership and Human Rights. DET’s Values complement each school’s own values and underpin the behaviours the community expects of Victorian public sector employees, including those who work in Victorian Government Schools. Information on the DET values is available at http://www.education.vic.gov.au/hrweb/workm/Pages/Public-Sector-Values.aspx
Please note that this advertised Education Support 1:3 Position will be accelerated on the pay scale to an ES 1:3 Step 3.
For further information regarding this vacancy, please contact Jackie Brogan, Director of Performing Arts on 9488 2336 or [email protected]
Advice to Applicants
Prospective applicants are advised to refer to the school website in order to access the information package relevant to this position www.nhs.vic.edu.au
Applicants are free to structure applications in any manner they choose, but must ensure that the following are included:
- A specific response to all of the Key Selection Criteria and position details. It is suggested that applicants limit their response to no more than 1 page (size 11) per criterion.
- A Cover Letter providing contact information including home address, email and phone number as well as the phone number of the work address at which the applicant can be contacted.
- A CV with a summary of experience and qualifications.
- The names, email addresses and contact details of three referees who can provide information regarding the applicant in relation to the Key Selection Criteria.
Please note: The selection panel may contact referees other than those listed.
The Selection Process will involve at least the following steps:
- Receipt of application by closing date
- Shortlisting of applications
- Interview process (applicants may be invited back for a second interview)
- Referee checks (these may occur prior and/or after the interviews)
Note: the panel reserves the right to contact others outside of the list of referees provided by the applicant.
On making a decision to appoint, a job offer will be made to the successful applicant.
Conditions of Employment
- All staff employed by the Department and schools have access to a broad range of employment conditions and working arrangements.
- Appointment of successful applicants will be made subject to a satisfactory pre-employment conditions check.
- A probationary period may apply during the first year of employment and induction and support programs provided.
Wangaratta VIC Casual Reference: 1160846 Location Profile Wangaratta West Primary School is a thriving primary school located in the rural township of Wangaratta in North East Victoria. Establi [...]
Melbourne VIC Part-time Reference: 1160398 Location Profile “Our job is not to prepare students for something, it is our job to activate our students to prepare themselves for anything.” A [...]
Warrnambool VIC Part-time Reference: 1160388 Location Profile Dear Applicant, Thank you for your interest in the advertised position at Warrnambool College. At a time of exciting growth and co [...]
Melbourne VIC Reference: 1160582 Location Profile St Helena Secondary College is a co-educational state secondary school of approx. 1600 students located in leafy Eltham North. St Helena is a re [...]