About the role
All progress begins with pioneers. At Rio Tinto, it begins with you.
We are looking for a Supervisor – Plant Operations to play a critical role in leading a team to operate the Amrun plant to meet our safety, production and operational efficiency targets whilst delivering continuous improvement. You will be based at Weipa’s Southern Operations (Amrun) whilst on roster and will go home to Weipa on your days off.
This is a great opportunity for someone with a strong work ethic and a ‘can do’ attitude to lead an operational team to deliver results in a safe manner.
Leading on the frontline is one of the most important jobs in our business and comes with a huge amount of responsibility. We need you to motivate,
inspire and keep your people safe and well.
Reporting to the Superintendent Plant Operations and working in a challenging and exciting environment, you will be:
- Leading a team of operators towards achieving an interdependent safety culture by utilizing daily shift starts, safety interactions, human performance and critical risk management tools;
- Maintaining a strong level of control over daily operating tasks;
- Working towards increasing equipment productivity, reliability and availability to achieve production targets;
- Focusing on executing the weekly operational plan;
- Coaching, mentoring and developing team members;
- Delivering value and working towards establishing a strong culture of operational excellence.
What you will bring
- Previous leadership experience in a highly regulated operational environment
- Beneficiation plant experience with exposure across ship loading operations
- A Marine Security Identification Card (MSIC) or the ability to obtain one
- Strong stakeholder engagement, communication and interpersonal skills
- Intermediate computer skills, including experience using Microsoft Office Suite applications as well as SAP
It will also be beneficial if you have:
- RIIWHS301 Conduct Safety and Health Investigations (formerly QMS2)
- RIICOM301 Communicate Information (formerly QMS3)
- Certificate IV in Training and Assessment - TAE40110
What we offer
- Domestic relocation assistance on offer
- Weipa accommodation benefit
- Remote area allowance
- Remote area holiday travel assistance
- Paid parental leave up to 9 months
- Health cover scheme for employees and their immediate family
- Salary sacrifice & packaging options – rental, mortgage, super, vehicle
- Rio Tinto employee share programme
- Employee discounts – banking, accommodation, motoring, retail and more.
About Rio Tinto
Every idea, every innovation, every little thing the world calls ‘progress’ begins witha first step, and someone willing to take it: explorers, inventors, entrepreneurs. Pioneers.
For nearly 150 years, Rio Tinto has been a company of pioneers – generations of people spanning the globe, all with the grit and vision to produce materials essential to human progress.
Our iron ore has shaped skylines from Shanghai to Sydney. Our aluminium – the world’s first to be certified “responsible” – helps planes fly and makes cars lighter. Our copper helps wind turbines power cities and our boron helps feed the world, and explore the universe.
Our diamonds help us celebrate the best parts of life.
Where you will be working
Our Weipa Operations includes three bauxite mines, processing facilities, ship loaders, an export wharf, two ports, power stations, a rail network and ferry terminals. Located on the Western Cape York Peninsula in Far North Queensland, each year the operation produces more than 35 million tonnes of bauxite.
Our operations are supported by a 1,900-strong workforce—including 26 per cent who are women and 25 per cent Indigenous employees. Activities include mine operations, maintenance, asset management, ports, cultural heritage management, and processing facility management.
The development of our new mine, Amrun, which was completed in 2018, will extend the life of our Weipa bauxite operations by decades to come and significantly build on our 55-year history on the Western Cape.
Every Voice Matters
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, women, the LGBTI+ community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.
Impress this employer describing Your skills and abilities, fill out the form below and leave Your personal touch in the presentation letter.
Programmed Skilled Workforce is a leading provider of managed workforce and training services. We are currently recruiting for experienced Labourers, for our client based in Weipa. CONDITIONS [...]
Position Plant Operator - Truck Driver Status Full Time Contract Hours 38 hours and at time be required to work weekend shifts.r>Rostered days on & 7days off Rates Not specified You [...]
Enrolled Nurse Advanced Practice (Weipa) writeAgency('Queensland Health'); Queensland Health (Organisation site ( )) Weipa We have an exciting opportunity for enthusiastic and dedicated health pr [...]
Do you like caring for children? Would you like to live in Weipa? If yes then there's a good chance you're a good match for our family! Please send a massage to tell us more about yourself. Please sen [...]