Australia Post Group (including Australia Post, StarTrack, Decipha & Securepay) is one of the most trusted brands in Australia. Employing over 35,000 people across our integrated delivery, logistics and e-Commerce network – we love delivering! Through our huge range of services, we help communities stay connected, businesses reach new customers and people stay in touch. We’re committed to helping our people, customers and communities build a better future.
Our Corporate Lawyers are known for providing high quality, commercially focused, independent and trusted legal services to a variety of stakeholders across Australia Post and its subsidiaries. We work hard, and we work on challenging matters,
but we also recognise that everyone has a life outside of the office, so we provide flexible conditions that enable you to grow whilst enjoying a genuine work-life balance.
What it’s like to work here
This is an amazing in-house role with a unique opportunity to influence and shape business decisions. You will be working with highly experienced corporate lawyers along with some great business leaders. You will have the opportunity to develop and progress your legal career within a collaborative and empowering environment.
What does the role involve?
Reporting to the Head of Legal, you will be responsible for managing and influencing senior stakeholders within the Payments & Financial Services area of the business.
As a trusted advisor for these business units, you will
- Have a strong understanding of our business and the external commercial, legal and regulatory environment in which the Payments & Financial Services business operates
- Identify legal issues and risks in existing business operations and new business initiatives and product development
- Lead negotiations across a range of customer revenue and procurement agreements
- Have great problem-solving skills and generate commercial solutions that assist with the success of key business initiatives
- Be pragmatic and commercial to support your stakeholders manage their legal obligations in accordance with Australia Post’s risk appetite and regulatory frameworks
- Assist the business units to meet their strategic objectives and priorities
- Provide independent, strategically focused, legal advice that adds value for Australia Post
- Be aware of emerging trends and legislation in Financial Services and Consumer Credit Law and Regulation and be able to incorporate these changes into your legal advice
- Advocate for strong corporate ethics and governance
As a member of Group Legal, you will
- Be a team player, support your peers and promote the value and reputation of Group Legal.
- Draft and negotiate contracts that achieve business objectives and allocate risk in accordance with risk appetite.
- Develop and maintain standard form legal documentation, resources and toolkits.
- Support the development of internal policies, training and compliance programs aimed at the business.
- Optimise the value and quality of legal services from external legal resources.
- Assist in training the business to understand their legal rights and compliance obligations.
What are we looking for?
You will have at least 5 years post-admission experience, having worked at a top tier firm or demonstrated in-house experience.
- You will hold an unrestricted Australian practising certificate
- You will have a strong knowledge of Australian Financial Services (AFS), Consumer Credit and Anti-Money Laundering (AML) Law and Regulation. You should also have demonstrated experience in dealing with regulatory bodies, such as the ASIC and AUSTRAC and advising on compliance programs
- Excellent negotiation, drafting, communication and stakeholder engagement skills
- The ability to build strong relationships and effectively influence internal and external stakeholders
- A proactive lawyer with a positive attitude.
We believe investing in our people is good business
That’s why we have a team dedicated to career coaching and support for our employees. And we know that your life outside of work matters. So while we work hard, we also have a culture that promotes a genuine work/life balance.
Together, our differences make us stronger
With a reach across Australia and beyond, we’re building a workforce that’s as diverse as the communities we serve.
Impress this employer describing Your skills and abilities, fill out the form below and leave Your personal touch in the presentation letter.
Share this job Job Title Senior Knowledge Lawyer Work Type Full Time - Permanent Job Location Melbourne Practice Group/Department Knowledge Role Business Services Description We have an exciting opp [...]
What we are looking for We are looking for corporate and M&A; lawyers at a variety of levels. As LOD expands, our well-established list of impressive clients continues to grow and seek our assistance [...]
> Canberra ACT, Sydney NSW, Melbourne VIC The key duties of the position include: A little bit about us The Department is responsible for the design and implementation of the Australian Government [...]
We are working closely with a Big 6 firm, looking for a Corporate Lawyer with 2+ years of experience to join their leading Corporate team in Melbourne. This team are market leaders and they work a [...]