Senior SQL Developer
The safety and wellbeing of our employees and potential employees are important to us. Our external candidates will have the choice to either interview in our offices or via Zoom. Not only do we wish to protect the health and safety of our people, we want to assure candidates that there is no expectation from REA to meet face-to-face. A virtual interview will not adversely impact your application. If you have any questions or concerns, this can be discussed through the screening process.
An Australian start-up success story we’re quietly proud of.
From a garage in Melbourne to the global stage is an achievement we’re humbled by.
Our idea to put pictures of houses on the internet has blossomed since 1995, and we now have businesses across Australia, Asia, India and North America.
Our purpose is to change the way the world experiences property. No matter where you’re at on your property journey, we’re here to help on every step – whether that’s buying, selling, renting or renovating.
Some of our brands include realestate.com.au, realcommercial.com.au, spacely.com.au, Flatmates.com.au, Smartline.com.au and Proptrack.com.
Where the role fits in
This position sits in the Data Services Tribe within the Technology & Data Group,headed up by Chris Venter.The mission of Data Services is to make it easy to leverage REA data.
The Consumer Insights & Analytics (CIA) squad is responsible for capturing and managing the billions of data points each month from our consumer audience, which are used by teams across REA for data science, customer reporting, business intelligence, and consumer-facing experiences within our web & app ecosystem.
They also provide engineering support to our Tagging & Analytics team, who are responsible for tag management (Tealium iQ) and product & marketing analytics (Adobe Analytics, Google Analytics) capabilities.
What the role is all about
As a Senior SQL Developer in Data Services, your responsibilities will include the following areas:
Data Management & Engineering
- Designing, coding, testing, and deploying data transformations for our audience datasets in BigQuery which are relied on by many teams across REA.
- Maintaining detailed documentation of datasets to be created and maintained, including data flow & entity-relationship diagrams, table & field descriptions, requirements & technical specifications.
- Analyse and produce data coverage and quality statistics to ensure our data is reliable, trustworthy, and well understood by external teams.
- Identify, track, and remediate data quality issues within our datasets.
- Following agile development practices such as test-driven development, continuous delivery, and pair programming.
- Sharing responsibility for all operational aspects of the software that we build, in support of our “you build it; you run it” philosophy where dev-ops is a part of everyday life.
- Training and mentoring other more junior team members
Analytics & Insights
- Working with Product Managers, Analysts, Delivery Leads, and Data Managers to understand requirements, communicate technical options, report on progress, and contribute ideas.
- Design, build, and maintain data visualisations and dashboards to provide insights from our audience data.
- Supporting the Consumer product teams and Analysts to produce campaign dashboards, reports, and lead conversion funnels that help understand the performance of their web & app products.
- Provide support & training to other analysts, data scientists, engineering teams, and users of our data.
What we’re after
Our ideal candidate will have skills in some of the following areas, whilst demonstrating both a desire and commitment to learning others.
- Strong SQL skills with goodknowledge of database concepts, modelling, schemas, and table design
- Prior experience working with data warehouses, data lakes, and ETL
- An appreciation of data quality concepts and the importance to reliable and trustworthy datasets
- Willing to learn new skills in data management and programming
- Data analysis and data visualisation skills,preferably with experience in Tableau
- Understanding of web application development and client-side data collection
- Ability to manage the competing demands of multiple projects in a timely manner – #gsd
- Ability to work productively and autonomously in a fast paced environment
- Good analytical skills and ability to communicate & collaborate effectively with business stakeholders
- Prior experience in coaching and mentoring more junior team members
Additional skills and experience that would be nice to have and highly regarded:
- Experience with JSON data formats
- Experience with analytics tools such as Google Analytics & Adobe Analytics
- Experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Google Cloud Platform (GCP) infrastructure
- Experience with Airflow and Python
- Exposure to DevOps tools and techniques, particularly AWS, GCP, and Docker
Qualifications & Experience
- 5+ years of experience
- A track record of delivering software and data to high quality standards including deployment & ongoing support
- Exposure to agile software engineering practices with a passion for continuous improvement
But we don’t just look for someone based on their skills and expertise. It’s our connection, acceptance and genuine care for each other that makes REA a great place to work. That means you also need to be:
- Savvy minded and have the ability to think a little left of field / outside the box
- A strong and creative communicator
- Friendly, approachable and have good relationship management skills
- An avid supporter of our fully inclusive culture - we celebrate difference and ensure that everyone belongs
The REA experience
The physical, mental, emotional and financial health of our people is something we’ll never stop caring about. This is a place to learn and grow. We’re committed to your development – both professionally and personally. Your experience with us is something we take seriously.
- Onsite/online health and wellbeing programs, including yoga and meditation classes (Melbourne only)
- Because We Care program which includes volunteer leave and community grants, to ensure you have the opportunity to give back to your community
- Hack Days so you can bring your big ideas to life
- An additional day of leave just for your birthday
- A flexible working environment meaning we strike the balance of what you need and what works for the business (and yes, our leaders fully understand the flexible working policy)
- A hybrid approach to the future of work -https://www.rea-group.com/blog/the-way-we-work-at-rea-a-hybrid-approach/
- Free breakfast (and who doesn’t love a free brekkie) (Sydney only)
- Industry leading gender-neutral parental leave
If you like the sound of us, then we think you should apply today. We're proud to be Circle Back Initiative Employer and we commit to respond to every applicant. While we're looking at your application, and preparing to come back to you with an update, why not get to know us a bit more through our various social channels?
- Melbourne, Australia
- Posted 15 hours ago
- Full time - Permanent
Impress this employer describing Your skills and abilities, fill out the form below and leave Your personal touch in the presentation letter.
The Opportunity Our client is undertaking an Enterprise-wide digital transformation to extend their digital service offerings to its global customer base. You will be working in a highly talented [...]
VBDeveloper - - Melbourne or Brisbane My client is a non-for profit Confidential e based CBD or Brisbaney have a unique opportunity for a solid Mid-Level to senior VBVisual Basic Developer join on [...]
Mid/Senior Python Developer ? 3 year daily rate contract ? Melbourne Large Organisation ? Melbourne South Eastern Suburbs My client is large organisation organisation based in Melbourne South Easter [...]
About the Role : Our Demand Forecasting team is seeking a Senior Analyst to join its Consumer Forecasts and Analytics stream and can be based out of any of our CBD based offices in Melbourne, Adela [...]