Australian Capital Territory
> Melbourne VIC, Mount Gravatt QLD, Geelong VIC, Adelaide SA, Canberra ACT, Surry Hills NSW
The Releases and Resolutions team has responsibility to provide legal and operational service to the Agency in relation to its external interface functions in a justice context. This includes responding to subpoenas, certifying public interest information release, and providing legal advice and representation relating to non NDIS Act legal matters that involve NDIS participants, such as coronial inquests and disability discrimination complaints from participants to the Australian Human Rights Commission.
The key duties of the position include:
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Providing legal advice to the executive and business areas.
- Managing the priorities of clients and available resources to deliver results on time and within budget.
- Establishing and maintaining excellent working relationships with clients and other stakeholders including courts and tribunals, other government agencies, states and territories, the legal profession, and people with disability and their representatives.
- Preparing and undertaking initial research and advice on medium level risk matters to contribute to a range of material including: briefing material for Ministers, Board papers, media releases, reports to Parliamentary committees, intranet content / website content and correspondence.
- Contributing to business improvement activities, including the development of systems, processes and practical tools.
- Drafting advice on straightforward legal matters, managing a caseload of matters and advising with the support of senior lawyers including Principal Lawyers, Deputy Chief Counsel and Chief Counsel.
- Undertaking preliminary work to support senior lawyers including Principal Lawyers, Deputy Chief Counsel and Chief Counsel in advising in moderately complex legal matters.
(NOTE: the key responsibilities of the role are based on current priorities and may change over time)
This position is within the professional job stream and the officer must possess relevant academic qualifications with admission as a legal practitioner, however described, of the High Court or the Supreme Court of an Australian State or Territory.
To be eligible as a Legal Officer under the legal job stream an employee must:
a) be required to perform legal work, and
b) possess a law degree, and
c) hold a current practicing certificate, and
d) have been admitted or be eligible to be admitted as a legal practitioner.
Successful candidates will be required to undergo a pre-employment National Police History check, and provide evidence of Australian Citizenship. Failure to do so may jeopardise your offer of employment.
Dependent on the role the appropriate working with children and/or vulnerable people checks may need to be undertaken as per State Legislation.
This position will be offered Non-ongoing or for a specified term of up to 12 months, with the possibility of extension up to three years.
This non-ongoing position may become ongoing. Should the position become ongoing then the Order of Merit established through this selection process may be used to fill the vacancy on an ongoing basis.
RecruitAbility applies to this vacancy. Under the RecruitAbility scheme you will be invited to participate in further assessment activity for the vacancy if you choose to apply under the scheme; declare you have a disability; and meet the minimum requirements for the job. For more information visit: https://www.apsc.gov.au/recruitability
Impress this employer describing Your skills and abilities, fill out the form below and leave Your personal touch in the presentation letter.
As one of the Australia's largest providers of human resources solutions, Chandler Macleod has a proven track record of unleashing potential in people and companies. For over 40 years Chandler Macleod [...]
For more than 30 years WesTrac has set the benchmark in equipment management solutions, providing customers across Western Australia, New South Wales and the Australian Capital Territory. As one of th [...]
Company Description We’re a large scale systems integration company, committed to delivering trusted solutions that help to safeguard Australia. With over 20 years’ local experience and the back [...]
EL1 Assistant Director, National Operations (VN 6821) Phillip, ACT AHL’s purpose is to provide safe, comfortable, culturally appropriate and affordable short-term accommodation for Indigenous Au [...]