Australian Capital Territory
> Woden ACT
The Principal Legislative Drafter drafts CASA manuals of standards, instruments of delegation, civil aviation orders and other legislative and legal instruments to ensure that they comply with legislative requirements and are valid, effective and legally enforceable.
The position provides advice on legislative drafting matters and legal policy to ensure that technical policy takes account of legal risks and issues, and that drafting instructions for the drafting of regulations are appropriate.
This position works under broad guidance with a significant degree of independence and initiative. The Principal Legislative Drafter works with a diverse range of regulatory,
technical and non-technical specialists providing leadership in implementing and promoting continuous improvement in the organisation.
The key duties of the position include:
The Principal Legislative Drafter is responsible for the following deliverables, which represent an ongoing body of work:
- Under limited supervision: draft complex legislative and non-legislative instrumentsprepare drafting-related or general advice, including explanatory statements for legislative instrumentsprovide legal-policy advice in relation to the preparation of regulations under the Civil Aviation Act 1988 and other legislative and non-legislative instruments.
- As appropriate, apply precedents and plain English drafting techniques to produce drafts that are clear, accurate and legally effective paying close attention to detail.
- Under limited supervision, give general advice and assistance to CASA officers in relation to legislative procedure and policy, based on a sound understanding of the legislative process.
- Carry out legal research.
- Work collaboratively and dynamically to progress the performance of the CASA legislative drafting function, promote CASA’s strategic direction and demonstrate CASA values.
- Assist in the supervision of more junior lawyers as required.
- Assist with the general legal work of the Advisory & Drafting Branch.
- Promote workplace safety, equity and diversity and participative management and environmental management practices in the workplace and act in accordance with CASA Values and Behaviours.
Employment with CASA is subject to conditions prescribed within the Civil Aviation Act 1988. Before you prepare an application, you must ensure you meet all the eligibility requirements:
- Prospective CASA employees must undergo pre-employment screening. You must be willing to provide required information to successfully undergo a police record check.
- Be an Australia citizen or permanent resident.
- Hold a tertiary qualification in law and admission as a legal practitioner of the High Court of Australia or a Supreme Court of a State or territory.
To be suitable for this role, you will have:
- Demonstrated extensive experience and knowledge of legislative drafting.
- Knowledge of the legislative process, including the operation of the Legislation Act 2003.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Demonstrated experience in providing effective legal advice and assistance to non-legal managers and staff in a complex technical context, including demonstrated analytical and conceptual skills to solve complex legal problems.
- Demonstrated experience managing, developing or coaching legal professionals.
Impress this employer describing Your skills and abilities, fill out the form below and leave Your personal touch in the presentation letter.
JOB DESCRIPTION Aspen Medical is seeking an IT Project Coordinator to join our team in Canberra on a full-time fixed-term basis. Within this opportunity, you will liaise with all levels and departmen [...]
Wellways Australia - Exciting and established PARC program in Deer Park - Utilise your lived experience of recovery to empower others on their recovery journey - Full-time, fixed-term (to 4th J [...]
About National Dental Care - Darwin We are a large, modern, 8 chair dental practice with full QIP accreditation and state-of-the-art equipment and technology including an OPG/CBCT machine, CEREC, Las [...]
Administration Officer, OPMHCT Full-time Permanent Closes: 25 May 2021 Classification: Administrative Services Officer 3 Salary: $65,976 - $71,004 plus superannuation Position No: 26422 - 01 [...]