Government of Western Australia
Department of Education Independent Public School - North Metropolitan Education Region Durham Road School Education Assistant - AUSLAN 00021999 EA (AUSLAN), $35.00 per hour (EA (Gov) GA 2021)
Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS649736
This is a permanent part-time (0.96FTE) position commencing Term 2, 2021
Durham Road School is seeking to appoint a caring and dedicated Education Assistant (EA) – AUSLAN to join their friendly student support team.
Durham Road School is committed to ensuring every student has a robust communication system. Our fulltime Communication Coordinator works with classroom staff to meet the communication needs of every student.
Teachers model communication strategies with students using Pragmatic Organisation Dynamic Display (PODD) and students use a variety of high and low tech devices. The school is well resourced with three Eye gaze technology systems where students learn to use their eyes to activate the computer and engage with exploration, choice making and communication programs.
As the Education Assistant (EA) – AUSLAN, you will assist the teacher in delivering planned education programs and encouraging a supportive and inclusive learning environment. You will work under limited supervision and may be expected to participate within a team situation, consulting and providing feedback relating to their relevant area.
The EA – AUSLAN, interprets all that is said in and outside the classroom environment, and assists with the communicative needs of Deaf or Hard of Hearing students using Australian Sign Language (AUSLAN) or another sign language or sign system relevant to the child’s mode of communication. In addition, the EA – AUSLAN orally interprets for the student using sign language or other sign systems to address the class, when working in a small group, communicating with another individual student or the teacher. Including assisting the student/s to understand the education programs through teacher directed tutoring e.g. working on difficult vocabulary, and clarifying homework directions.
Durham Road School is the largest Education Support School in Western Australia, catering for approximately 200 students with disability from Kindergarten through to Year 13. Each teacher's focus is on delivering high quality teaching and learning experiences using the latest innovation alongside current best practice techniques.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- well-developed oral and written communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to interact with Deaf or Hard of Hearing students, liaise with parents, teachers and community members and where necessary assist teachers in understanding students.
- well-developed organisational skills, including the ability to contribute to a professional team and deliver an effective education program.
- knowledge and understanding of issues relevant to deaf or hard of hearing students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Durham Road School can be found by visiting or .
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available .
For further job related information:
Please contact Sharon Whiteford, Manager Corporate Services by telephoning (08) 9238 0900 or emailing .
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school.
- A CV outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position.
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager).
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to :
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
- hold a Certificate, Diploma or Advanced Diploma of Auslan Interpreting (Paraprofessional/Professional) and/or NAATI Accreditation or have considerable proven experience as an Interpreter;
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the .
Employees will be required to :
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Monday, 29 March 2021
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.
You can view and print these PDF attachments by downloading .
WORK TYPE: Permanent - Part Time FTE: 0.96 LOCATION: Bayswater CLOSING DATE: 2021-03-29 4:30 PM
Impress this employer describing Your skills and abilities, fill out the form below and leave Your personal touch in the presentation letter.
Position details : Music Teacher Part Time Temporary Position (0.8) (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday) Applications are invited for a part time (0.8), temporary Music Teacher commencing 19 J [...]
We are looking for a responsible person to help us with house cleaning. It would be great if you have some experience and references. We need the following: services such as Carpet cleaning, Window cl [...]
- Cleaning within Hospital aged Care preferred - National Police Clearance & Flu Vaccination needed - Full availability required Medirest provides specialist food, hospitality and support services t [...]
The Role: Managing the sales administration function, operational performance reporting, streamlining processes and systems wherever possible, and advising senior management on maximising business re [...]